BEGINNING WITH THE GRADUATING CLASS 0F 2022: ALL SENIORS MUST APPLY FOR STUDENT FINACIAL AID OR OPT OUT (COMPLETE THE OPT OUT FORM) IN ORDER TO RECEIVE A DIPLOMAFAFSA opens October 1, 2023 (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
Financial Aid: FAFSA or TASFA?
FAFSA or TASFA?
Depending on your situation you will apply for financial aid one of two ways:
**Both applications are NOW Open for 2023-2024!!*
- If you have a Social Security Number, you will fill out the FAFSA
- If you do not have a Social Security Number or have a Social Security Number through DACA, you will fill out the TASFA
Most senior students will apply for FASFA or TASFA as a dependent, meaning they will have to provide information about their parents. Wondering whether you're independent or dependent? Check out the link: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency#dependency-questions
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
What is the FAFSA?
- The FAFSA is the free online application students can use to receive federal aid for college.
What kind of aid can I receive through the FAFSA?
- You can receive grants, loans, and work-study.
How to apply for FAFSA
- Before beginning your FAFSA application, you and your parent must make an FSA ID. This is like a username and it makes it easier once you are ready to submit!
- Click on the link below to make one:
- After you have made your FSA ID, you can begin your application.
- Click on the link below to begin:
- There you will select "Start A New FAFSA) and enter your FSA ID
Documents you need:
TASFA (Texas Application for State Aid)BOTH the FAFSA and the TASFA allow you to access the 4 types of financial aid:
- Parent W-2 Forms and tax forms 1040 for the year prior (2021).
- Scholarships: Awards that students MUST APPLY FOR that are based on need, merit, or achievement that DO NOT HAVE TO BE REPAID.
- Grants: Awards that students QUALIFY for vs. applying for that are mostly awarded on the basis of need and DO NOT HAVE TO BE REPAID.
- Work Study: On and sometimes off-campus jobs for students who demonstrate financial need. Hours are limited. Students must apply for this aid through the FAFSA or the TASFA.
- Loans: Money that is BORROWED and MUST BE REPAID WITH INTEREST. There are different types of loans, and students should accept certain types of loans first before restoring to other.
What is the TASFA?
- The TASFA is the free application students can use to receive state aid for college.
What kind of aid can I receive through the TASFA?
- You can receive grants and possible work-study and possible loans.
How to apply for the TASFA
- Click on this link: TASFA 2022-2023 (English) OR TASFA 2022-2023 (Espanol)
- .pdf application in English and in Spanish.
- NOTE: You will have to submit a separate application for each college that you apply to.
- Ms. Wilkins and Ms. Arellano manage all TASFA applications for Akins. Visit us in the CCC for support!
Documents you need:
- Parent tax return, tax transcript, and W-2’s for the year prior (2021)
- Student tax return, tax transcript, and W-2’s for the year prior (2021)
- Required documents vary from school to school